The Extended Summer Set refers to a 5th season – a hidden season that is fundamental, centering and transitionally supportive. This 5th season affects the Spleen-pancreas and Stomach, better thought of as the digestive system (corresponding to the mouth, body mass and extremities). The Spleen-Pancreas and Stomach function to transform and transport nourishment out from the center to the extremities.
Here in New England, we have a term called Indian Summer – a period of unseasonably warm weather during the fall. Although Extended Summer follows the Summer season chronologically, the design of this chi kung set is energetically influenced by 5 element theory. This set is practiced throughout the year as a centering foundation to support the body through the energetic transitions occurring from one season to the next. The movements condition and open the center of the body and spread the body’s energy outward.
When practicing this set with intent to condition the Spleen-pancreas / Stomach: based on 5 element principles the Spleen corresponds to the Earth Element with a centering or core influence. Correspondence also includes the mid torso or middle burner functionally related to digestion.
Triple Burner – A Traditional Chinese Medical model that is outside the 5 Element model predominately used for the 4 Seasons Chi Kung sets. The Triple Burner corresponds to 3 divisions of the torso particularly related to function occuring in those regions.
- Upper Torso / Upper Burner function (Lungs & Heart): to cook or process air. Air is inhaled and exhaled through the lungs, blood is oxygenated and circulated by the heart.
- Mid Torso / Middle Burner function (Spleen-pancreas, Stomach, Liver): to cook or process food. Food is broken down (digested), absorbed and circulated to the liver and then transported out to the extremities / whole body.
- Lower Torso / Lower Burner function (Kidneys, Bladder, Intestines, Liver): to eliminate waste and toxins and expel it out of the body via urination and bowel movements.
Note: Under the principles of the Triple Burner model the Liver can correspond to the Middle Burner and Lower Burner.
When practicing this set with intent to condition the Triple Burner: based on Triple Burner principles you a larger generalized influence on the entire body (Upper, Middle and Lower Burners) with this single set.
Releasing Sounds (see 6 Releasing Sounds reference):
- Spleen – Hu (who) or Fu (foo)
- Triple Burner – Xi (shee)
The forms are performed in order sequentially as listed in the lessons below at a slow, continuous and flowing pace.
Note: there is an Opening and Closing form to the set. When combining additional 4 Seasons Chi Kung sets together in a series the Opening and Closing forms are typically performed only once at the beginning and once at end of the series instead of per each individual set.
- Form – a short, repetitive movement.
- Set – a sequence of separate forms or movements strung together and fluidly performed from one form to the next.
- Series – a sequence of separate sets strung together and fluidly performed from one series to the next
Read through the additional course documents. The Handout is a step by step instructional guide for each form in the Spring set. The Poster document n be used as a reminder of each form in the set.
- Opening Movement - 4SCK Extended Summer
- 1 Both Hands to Hold the Heavens - 4SCK Extended Summer
- 2 Buddha Explores the Sea - 4SCK Extended Summer
- 3 Dragon Loosens the Neck - 4SCK Extended Summer
- 4 Circle the Waist Horizontally - 4SCK Extended Summer
- 5 Regulate the Middle and Lower Burners - 4SCK Extended Summer
- 6 Loosening the Upper Burner - 4SCK Extended Summer
- 7 White Crane Loosens Wings - 4SCK Extended Summer FREE TRIAL
- 8 White Crane Shakes Wings - 4SCK Extended Summer
- Closing Movement - 4SCK Extended Summer
Frequently Asked Questions
When does the course begin and end?
This is a completely self-paced, online course - you decide when to start and when you finish the course.
How long do I have access to the course?
You have lifetime access to this course? After enrolling, you have unlimited access to this course anytime and across any and all devices you own.
What if I am unhappy with my purchase?
I never want you to be unhappy! If you are unsatisfied with your purchase, contact me within the first 14 days and I will give you a full refund on all unused courses.
Christopher Carlow, DAOM
Doctor of Acupuncture & Oriental Medicine, Tai Chi / Chi Kung Instructor
About the instructor
I want to share these wonderful natural healing principles that I've learned over the years as a Doctor of Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine and a Tai Chi / Chi Kung (qigong) Instructor.
If you too are all about making natural choices for yourself when it comes to health care then check out my courses and explore my Wellness Blog for great tips, news and events that will stimulate your awareness and help you take control of your health natura